Trust me they’re better than they sound
Let’s preface this recipe by saying the reason I even tried doing a vegetable main course is because one of my resolutions (more on that here) this year was to cut out a lot of the meat in my family’s diet. I feel like we were becoming red meat addicts, also I would love to have a better repertoire in the kitchen than the same old shit. Let’s be real here eating almost nothing but meat isn’t a good look for anyone’s insides and I mean my husband has life insurance but who wants to change EVERY diaper ya know? (this is obviously a joke please calm the f down)
Moving on…. these were more time consuming than anticipated, so heads up, but they came out really good.
What you need:
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup sliced scallions (green and white parts)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
What you do:
1. Place shredded zucchini in a colander and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Allow to drain for 10 minutes then squeeze out as much liquid as possible with a cheesecloth (a paper towel would work too) **This will prevent the fritters from getting soggy while cooking.
2. Put drained zucchini into a large bowl then add garlic, flour, eggs, scallions, salt and pepper. Stir the mixture until combined.
3. Line a plate or tray with paper towels. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Scoop mounds of the vegetable mixture into the pan (roughly 2 TBSP per fritter), flattening the slightly and spacing them evenly into the pan. Proceed in batch to avoid overcrowding the pan.
4. Cook the fritters for 2 to 3 minutes then flip on the other side and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes more, until they’re golden brown and crispy. Transfer to the paper towel-lined plate, season with salt and repeat the process with the remaining mixture.