Confessions: Mac and Squeese
Not your typical mac and cheese
Using squash for its deep orange colour and sweet flavour makes this dish looks just like the traditional macaroni and cheese! Try it with sweet potatoes too for another nutritious option.
- Pack this pasta in a thermos for lunches or enjoy as a hot meal home from school.
Let’s jump right in…
What You Need:
|Whole wheat macaroni||1 1/2 cups|
|Butter or maragarine||2 Tbsp|
|Cubed and peeled butternut squash||2 cups|
|Small clove garlic, minced (optional)||1|
|Shredded Swiss cheese||1/2 cup|
|Freshly grated Parmesan cheese||2 Tbsp|
What You Do:
- In a pot of boiling water cook macaroni for about 8 minutes or until tender but firm. Drain and return to pot. Add butter and stir to coat.
- Meanwhile, in another pot of water, bring squash to a boil for about 15 minutes or until very tender. Drain and return to pot. Add milk and garlic and using hand mixer or potato masher blend until smooth.
- Add pasta to squash mixture.
- Add Swiss and Parmesan cheeses and stir to coat.
This is an easy way to sneak some vegetables into those kiddos. Toddlers are fickle but this seems to work for us. Let me know how it works for you!
I also mention this in my post on toddler meal plans, more on that here.