Confessions: Rosemary Roast Chicken
The dinner that SEEMS like it took you all day to make
It’s about that time again… dinner time, my least favorite time of the day. As a stay at home mom I have already cooked and cleaned two meals and three snacks. By 3pm I’ve completely fallen out of love with my kitchen. For mothers dinner is, as my sister in law lovingly refers to it, the final insult of the day. Thankfully planning ahead has helped take a bit of suckage out of the dinner chaos.
What’s on the menu tonight you ask?
Well, it’s this rosemary roast chicken. This recipe is by far one of my favorite weeknight meals. Confessions rosemary roast chicken is one of my easy “fancy” meals that is filling and a crowd pleaser. This meal takes roughly 90 minutes from start to end (including cook time). Plus chicken always wins, especially in my house. The good news is you can prep this chicken the night before and then just bring it to room temp before throwing it in the oven. I like to do it the day of, but do you.
Let’s Get Started…
What you need:
4 lb Chicken, whole (I get my chicken here. It’s a bit more expensive but you can taste the difference)
- 4 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 Lemons
- 4 Rosemary, large springs fresh
- 1lb Carrots, peeled
- 1lb Celery, chopped
- 2 Large White Onions, chopped
- 1 Lemon juice, Fresh
- 1 cup White Wine
- Cheesecloth, cut to size
Salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1/4 cup Butter
**OPTIONAL** aluminum roasting pan (lazy girl clean up secret)
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter put in small bowl and mix with white wine.
- Soak cheesecloth in white wine butter mixture and set aside.
- Add 1/2 cup melted butter to a medium sized bowl.
- Add in 2 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 rosemary, garlic and lemon zest from 4 lemons.
- Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Generously season chicken with salt and pepper, including inside of the cavity.
- Brush the butter/oil mixture onto the chicken generously covering up all of the chicken.
- Stuff the chicken with lemon slices, 1/2 rosemary and onions.
- Tie together the legs.
- Toss carrots/celery/onions with 2 tbsp oil & a salt pepper mixture
- Line roasting pan with carrots, celery, onions, and 1/4cup water. (I sometimes throw some wine in here as well. Just a splash)
- Place chicken in roasting pan over vegetables.
- Squeeze the juice of 2 lemons all over the chicken.
- Cover chicken with damp cheesecloth.
- Cook for 15 minutes and then baste using wine butter mixture. Continue basting every 15 minutes.
- Remove cheesecloth for the final 15 minutes of cooking. (usually after about a half hour)
- Cook until golden. Lightly tent with foil if chicken is browning too quickly. (Chicken internal temp should be 165)
- Let chicken cool for 15 minute before carving.
I usually serve this with stuffing or potatoes and vegetables. The best part is throwing away that foil pan….so satisfying.
Boom Done! Let me know how this works out for you.